Sunday 15 March 2009

In Conversation with Kiki van Eijk

Kiki van Eijk
Photograph by Marjan Holmer


Kiki van Eijk began working in design in 2001 after graduating Cum Laude from the Design Academy Eindhoven, her work has been published and sold internationally and she is well respected amongst her peers. She has an excellent way of infusing fun and playfulness into her designs while maintaining a strong balance of the elements and principles of design. I find her work beautiful, original and inspiring.

Please read on to learn more about this talented designer from the Netherlands…

Iván Meade – What was your first experience with design?

Kiki van Eijk – first reaction; I don’t remember… I guess via my cousin, who is a graphic designer. I must say I knew more about arts at a younger age.

Domestic Jewels - High Bench - 2008
Kiki van Eijk



Iván Meade – Who or what has influenced your style?

Kiki van Eijk – The small things in life around us that we often tend to forget.


Chaise Lounge - 2008
Kiki van Eijk



Iván Meade – How would you describe your style?

Kiki van Eijk – Personal, intuitive and vivid/ frivolous


Patchwork Cabinet 01 l 02 - 2008
Kiki van Eijk


Iván Meade – What do you consider to be your greatest strength and your greatest weakness?

Kiki van Eijk – That’s 2 things at the same time; that my range of work and materials is extremely broad.

Quilt Chair - 2007
Kiki van Eijk


Quilt Stool - 2007
Kiki van Eijk


Iván Meade – What has been your greatest collaboration?

Kiki van Eijk – Uptill now this my collaboration with my partner in life and designer Joost van Bleiswijk. We don’t really work together, but we dicuss our works together which keeps us both very sharp. I think you can call that a collaboration as well.


Lightbox - Kiki van Eijk


Iván Meade – What books are currently on your bedside or coffee table?

Kiki Van Eijk – Garden of Eden, Taschen




Iván Meade – What are you excited about right now in the world of design? Are there any new materials that you can’t wait to work with?

Kiki Van Eijk – I can’t wait to work with any material! We’re in a big removal to our new studio were we’ll have all the space of the world to work with any material.


Rose Lace - Carpet
Kiki van Eijk


Iván Meade – What project has given you the most satisfaction?

Kiki Van Eijk – I can’t choose one, but my latest project the whole range of domestic jewels was a very interesting research for me.


Knick Knack Pot - Ceramic
Kiki van Eijk



Iván Meade – What would be your dream project?

Kiki Van Eijk – An interior for a hotel or embassy


Porcelain Silverware - Kiki van Eijk


Iván Meade – What is your next design venture?

Kiki Van Eijk – I’m going to make a very exclusive and personal series in wood combined with brass which really reflects my world of ideas and it represents furniture in a new way. That’s all I can say!

Also I’ve designed a lot of new products for a new Italian label which will be presented in Milan at the Salone del Mobile this year.

And many more… but still secret unfortunately. And of coarse: the renovation of our new studio!!

Iván Meade – Lastly, you have already created a stunning body of work with many mediums and styles. What would you like your legacy to be?

Kiki van Eijk - I guess I don’t understand the question completely, can you put in in other words?

Thanks, best Kiki


Kiki van Eijk - Sketches


I invite to visit Kiki's website and enjoy her creativity...



MEADE DESIGN GROUP - THE BLOG. Copyright 2007-2011

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such fun stuff!I love the quilted pieces, they are beautiful.

Maria Killam said...

Wow she is a talent! Those tables with the drawers are so cool!

qerat said...

Very talented indeed.
Love her pieces so individual and artistic.

Michelle said...

I just said the same thing on Christian's blog, but I'll say it again, Amsterdam is my favorite city because I think the Dutch are so forward thinking, drawing from so much history. I LOVE it there. Concrete and Associates (Rob Wagaman) is my favorite firm in the city. I had the chance to interview him on a self lead site tutorial trip, while in school.

It all started with my first trip; and a visit to an artist cooperative, where artists lived and worked together in the same space, creating a lifestyle, and selling one of a kind pieces in the showroom.

When I first walked in the co-op, I was confused...what is this place...it drew me to the back, where large pendants, circular sofas and crazy bookshelves attracted me.

Kiki's work really reminds me of this...in my opinion, this is what you get when you have appropriate support for the arts.

I'm off to check out her website now...thanks Ivan!

Brillante Interiors said...

The high bench is absolutely fantastic. I am now curious to know what she'll present at Salone del Mobile in Milan (April)which is the best and most attended furniture fair so far.
I'll try to discover also for what Italian firm she is presently working.
She has talent and thanks for presenting her to us.

Unknown said...

Hi Ivan
What a great interview with a fascinating and talented Designer. It is very interesting to see the level of creativity and originality outside of North America.

DesignTies said...

All these pieces are so interesting, and a little quirky. I really like the chaise, especially the fabric.

Thanks for the introduction to Kiki :-) I love her name!!

Kelly @ DesignTies