Wednesday 21 October 2009

In Conversation with Brooke Giannetti

 

image Brooke Giannetti

 

Brooke Giannetti not only does beautiful architectural design with her husband (Steve), stunning interior and furniture designs; she also maintains a very cool blog (Velvet & Linen) and runs a shop with her namesake – Giannetti Home.

 

Brooke’s interiors are very chic and warm with a feeling of someone really living there, not too stuffy or untouchable. Sophisticated and eclectic with carefully chosen juxtapositions, but always inviting. Her designs certainly evoke positive emotions and nostalgia.

 

Giannetti Home is very similar, an ever evolving showroom full of rustic pieces from around the world that have age and character.  Brooke also has her own line of furniture which is very clean, slim and sophisticated, it would work with an array of styles.

 

The Velvet & Linen blog follows Giannetti Home’s current projects and inspirations, as well as little tidbits showing the personal side of Brooke, including a very sweet open letter to her 16 year old son.

 

Giannetti Home has been featured in several newspapers (including The Washington Post), magazines and blogs. She also appeared on The Skirted Roundtable, a popular blog that posts podcasts of roundtable-style discussions about interior design and blogging from a weekly radio show.

 

Please read on to learn more about this talented designer and blogger…

 

Iván Meade – What was your first experience with design?

 

Brooke Giannetti - I would have to say that my mother introduced me to the world of design. Although she was not formally trained, she was always doing something to own home. She even allowed me to design my own bedroom when I was thirteen. Lavender on the walls and carpet with white accents. I owe her a great deal for that!

 z-bg-5Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – Who or what has influenced your style?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Steve has been a huge influence because he has been so supportive and has allowed me to explore my own style without judgement.

 

European design has also been a big influence. For the past year, blogs like Cote de Texas, Things That Inspire, Marley and Lockyer, Belgian Pearls (a new favorite), and all of the beautiful Swedish blogs have exposed me to a whole new world.

 

z-bg-6 Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – How would you describe your style?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Right now my style is a combination of Belgian, French and Swedish with a little industrial thrown in. I love the cleaned up version of Belgian design as seen in the Beta Plus books, but with a little French and Swedish softness thrown in the mix.

 

z-bg-4 Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What designers of past and present do you admire most?

 

Brooke Giannetti – Windsor Smith for her daring and the lightness she instills into all of her projects. They always put a smile on my face. Joe Nye and Madeline Stuart for their incredible attention to detail. Barbara Wiseley. I could live in her own home. Our friend and Steve's client, Kelly Harmon. She creates the most serene idyllic homes.

 

John Saladino, the master of scale. His books have a permanent place on my desk. I love his ability to combine rustic with modern.

 

z-bg-3Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What inspired you to begin a blog?

 

Brooke Giannetti – My friend Mary suggested that I start a blog. I had no idea what they were. I really started Velvet and Linen as an on-line journal to document all of my projects as well as the things that I love.

 

z-bg1 Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – How has the blog influenced your designs and your career?

 

Brooke Giannetti - The blog has been an unexpected gift. I think Velvet and Linen has enabled me to become clearer about my design style. There is nothing like having to put things in writing to get some clarity. The blog has also given our work a huge amount of exposure. With many of the shelter magazines shutting their doors, blogs have become a wonderful venue for our work.

 

Riviera-BG-2Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What do you consider to be your greatest strength and your greatest weakness?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Steve would say that my greatest strength is my lack of formal training. I design from my gut. My biggest weakness is when I allow insecurity to sneak into my head. 

.

image  Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What is it like balancing a store, blog, design business and family all at once? How do you manage?!

 

Brooke Giannetti - It's crazy. The only way I manage is because I have a wonderful support system.

 

16-BG

Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What are 5 things you can’t live without?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Steve, Charlie, Nick, Leila, my Veranda magazine subscription!

 

BG-D-H Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What are you excited about right now in the world of design?

 

Brooke Giannetti – I think that the internet has opened up the world of design to everyone. You can live anywhere and see what people around the world are focusing on in design. To me that is very exciting.

 

imageInterior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – The products in your store seem to be constantly changing due to all of the one-of-a-kinds you sell. What is your favourite piece in the store right now?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Although I love the Swedish antique pieces in our store the things that really excite me right now are our furniture line and Steve's paintings.

 

BG-Sunset Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What is it that you love so much about antique Swedish pieces?

 

Brooke Giannetti - The clean lines combined with simple details. They work so well with the industrial pieces that we love.

 

imageInterior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What would be your dream project?

 

Brooke Giannetti - A beach house for a client who says: "I love what you and Steve do. Do what you want. I'll be back in a year."

 

Channel-Island-Interior Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What project has given you the most satisfaction?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Right now our own home in Oxnard. Steve and I use it as our science design lab. We try out all of the things that nobody else will let us do, yet...

 

Channel-Island-Interior-2 Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – What is your next design venture?

 

Brooke Giannetti - We are designing more furniture pieces as well as an accessories line. It's so much fun to concentrate on small pieces. It's like jewelry for the home.

 

Riviera-BG Interior by Brooke Giannetti

 

Iván Meade – Lastly, you have already created a stunning body of work with many mediums and styles. What would you like your legacy to be?

 

Brooke Giannetti - Three happy kids.

 

I invite you to visit Brooke Giannetti  stunning body of work

 

GIANNETTI HOME

VELVET & LINEN

.



MEADE DESIGN GROUP - THE BLOG. Copyright 2007-2011

35 comments:

Michelle said...

I am in cyber love with both of them...LOL...an amazing body of work; and with family held so close, Brooke seems to have all of her priorities in place.

Another great interview Ivan!

Velvet and Linen said...

Thank you Ivan for this honor.
You are the best!

xo
Brooke

Jamie Gold, CKD, CAPS said...

Great interview. Great subject. Great images.

PS: I'll let Joni know you mentioned her fabulous Cote de Texas blog in the interview here.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Lovely interview with the lovely Brooke! She is blessed with an amazing eye for beauty.

Hillary said...

Always wonderful keeping up with your inspiring creations.
Much love,
Hillary

mary said...

Great questions and answers. I love Brooke's blog...and now that I found Meade Design Group, I hope to become familiar with you guys, also.
Mary

bovagoods said...

wonderful interview. love brooke's blog. it is a dream to be able to balance family, career and passion so elegantly. happy to be introduced to meade as well.
-elisabeth

Michael Eye said...

Terrific interview! Isn't she amazing? Brooke's generousity continues to expose her fans to new facets of the design community. I now know about Ivan and Meade Design Group. Thank you, Brooke and Ivan!
Michael Eye

joanna said...

Brooke is truly inspirational, her style is impeccable, fresh and original. Her spouse Steve is an amazing Architect - I love following her Velvet and Linen blog to see what new projects they are working on- both of them are unique and have different styles that compliment one another.
Thanks Ivan for interviewing Brooke and recognizing a very talented young designer.

Joanny

cotedetexas said...

Ivan, are you a m.o.t? hehe

great interview - i adore Brooke's style, well no, actually make that love her style - she's the best, beautiful inside and out to tell you the truth. the portfolio speaks for itself - it just gets better and better.

Joni

Porchlight Interiors said...

Fabulous interview! Love Brooke's work and love that she puts her family first! Beautiful interiors as usual! Tracey xx

kmack said...

Ivan,

I have a feeling Brooke will be one of the designers that will stand the test of time. She creates interiors that nourish not only the eye, but the soul. Her internal balance and beauty yields interiors that equate with the best designers throughout time, with an eye for serenity, comfort, scale, and a soft palette.

In my opinion, from Brooke, the best is yet to come.

Thank you for interviewing Brooke!

Kathy Wommack

Fargerike Dagny said...

Great interview, Ivan! Brooke is super talented :)

Teresa said...

Wonderful to read more about Brooke and her style. I visit her blog and have learned so much- Great interview.
I've also enjoyed looking through your blog.
Thanks, Have a wonderful day-

jvw home said...

Loved the interview Brooke & always a huge fan of your work... great to learn about Meade's blog too!

AnnaPaula said...

I discover a great blog and i read a "friend" interview with joy!!
Have a good day
AnnaPaula

Renae Moore said...

I agree with Michelle, without "knowing" two people personally, I have learned much from them and consider them (especially Brooke) friends. They have a gift only God gives..talent beyond comprehension.

This is a great interview.

Blessings...

Kathysue said...

Great Interview, Brooke is one of my favorites. I visit her blog every day and always come away inspired. I love her keeping it real spirit and her consistency to good design but always staying true to herself and her client. Kathysue

vicki archer said...

Great interview...I love Brooke's style and taste, xv.

72 and sunny said...

another great interview and another great designer. The Gianettis are a quiet voice of great talent who are coming on strong in the design world with a well deserved, thunderous applause.

i heart brooke!

Jeffito said...

What a down to earth personality in the world of design! You don't often see such a tremendous talent be someone who's so committed to her family.

The Giannetti's are inspiration not only because of the fantastic work they do, but they do it as a team. As someone who works closely with their partner I know how challenging but rewarding that can be.

I look forward to seeing the Giannetti's continued success and will be a new fan of their blog!

Echito said...

Such a heartfelt and sweet interview - I don't know what more I can say that people haven't said already.

Although, from the great comments we have received already, it seems like she is a well-loved designer on the rise! This is just the tip of the iceberg for her it seems - we may have a mogul in the making!

for the love of a house said...

Love Brooke, loved the interview!!

Julie said...

Great interview of an amazing designer. I am currently obsessed with "Velvet and Linen"! Thanks for the inspiration Brooke.

Susan S said...

Wow, so this is what it feels like on the way up!

The interview shows Brooke's usual tender sentiments which says so much about her.

Oh, and Mr. Meade, your taste is impeccable!

Susan S

Greet Lefèvre said...

Thank you so much for this interview with my favourite friend! She is a very good designer and such a sweet person! I can't tell!!!! I love her !!!
Greet

Kelley said...

I love every aspect of B & S's design, thanks for the additional insight into a great design team. One of my faves, & truly a beautiful and thoughtful couple as well.

warmest regards, kelley

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I love to hear the stories behind such talented designers. Her work is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

The cream of the crop rises to the top and we get the pleasure of a great interview too. How lucky we are to have both of you (Ivan and Brooke) to share your time and talents with us. We designers and creatives are truly blessed. Thank You.

Bette

DesignTies said...

Great interview :-) I love Brooke & Steve's work. They're more than welcome to use my home as a science lab, I'd let them do anything they want!! :-)

Kelly

Ness Lockyer said...

It is great that you have recognised Brookes talents. Makes me smile that she isn't formally trained and it is just a gift that she has harnessed and put to use beautifully.
Thanks brooke for mentioning Marley & Lockyer as one of your inspirations...I am blushing!!
Ness xx

qerat said...

Love Brooke's style and blog.
Great interview with a wonderful woman. Loved what she wants her legacy to be. She did not forget her best job ever :)

Brillante Interiors said...

Velvet & Linen is one of my favorite readings and with this interview I know more about Brooke. Thanks Ivan, always on top.
(I am back and hope to see you soon. Ciao)

vosgesparis said...

This is a really great interview with the lovely Brooke, I always enjoy visiting her blog and the work she does with Steve!
Greetingzzz from Amsterdam.

Megan said...

Ivan, I absolutely love your blog... and was so excited to see you interview another favorite of mine. I follow Brooke's blog religiously, and enjoyed learning about her influences in this interview. This industry at times can be intimidating and 'stand-offish', and Brooke's honesty is really refreshing. Thanks to you both for all that you do.