Friday 30 July 2010

In Conversation with Tamara Radick

imageTamara Radick

 

As seen in SNAP Victoria, August 2010

 

After 10 years of experience in the design business, Tamara Radick opened her own firm - Inhabit Designs, in 2007 to bring her fresh, clean, contemporary style to residential and commercial spaces throughout British Columbia. You may have seen Tamara's work in the internationally acclaimed Opus Hotel in Vancouver or even locally in one of our favourite summer spots Glo Restaurant.  Tamara's spaces have a fresh and sophisticated style imprinted in every corner.  Inhabit Designs also offers graphic design, branding and project management services, complementing the structure of her design business.

 

Please read on to learn more about this talented designer…

 

Iván Meade – What was your first experience with design?


Tamara Radick – My mom has always been my version of Martha. She is an amazing seamstress, crafter, writer & a fierce cook. She used to design & make gorgeous outfits for me, room décor, stunning birthday cakes, she could really do it all! And although I certainly do not have her prowess in the kitchen, I would like to think that my love of fashion & design came from her.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – Who or what has influenced your style?


Tamara Radick- One of the first architecture books I ever received was on the works of Frank Lloyd Wright. I remember being in awe of Falling Water & thought it was amazing that you could build a house over flowing water. I have certainly been influenced by mid-century modern design, as well as the objects & spaces created by designers like Marcel Wanders, Phillipe Stark & Karim Rashid.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – How would you describe your style?


Tamara Radick- My personal style is modern & fresh. I love to layer texture, color & unique items to make spaces interesting & full of personality.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – What is your design philosophy?


Tamara Radick- Delight in design & design to delight.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – Previous to opening Inhabit, you worked at several architectural firms. How did your experience at these firms differ from your experience at inhabit?


Tamara Radick- While I loved working on large commercial projects with teams of other amazing designers & architects, I was only every working on a portion of the overall project. I love to work on every aspect of a job from creating the vision, to developing the details and executing the final installation. Being the owner of inhabit allows me to be completely involved in all phases of the design.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – Your graphic works are very well done, very clean and contemporary – much like your interiors. How did you become involved in graphic design?


Tamara Radick- There seemed to be a gap between graphic design & the built environment. I got into graphic design to help bridge this gap by creating environmental graphics & wayfinding signage for large commercial projects.

 

This developed over time into doing brand development, logo design & all print materials for my clients to offer them a complete design approach that would have continuity through the entire project.

 

I love to draw & paint, so working on graphics really let me tap into my creative/artistic side.

 

image Graphic Design by Tamara Radick

 


Iván Meade – Who is Tamara Radick? (Outside of being Tamara Radick – the designer)


Tamara Radick- When I am not designing I am either playing volleyball, enjoying great food & a glass of pinot gris, spending time with family & friends, or catching up on trashy TV!

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick

 


Iván Meade – What are you excited about right now in the world of design?


Tamara Radick- Clients seem to be better educated in design these days & are more willing to really push their boundaries. They are looking for unique spaces that truly reflect their style & personality, this makes designing so much more fun!

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – What would be your dream project?


Tamara Radick- My best friend is an amazing fashion designer. We would love to collaborate on a retail concept that combines fabulous custom couture items for the home & the body.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick

 


Iván Meade – What project has given you the most satisfaction?


Tamara Radick- Opus Hotel was one of the most challenging & equally rewarding projects that I have ever worked on. It was wonderful having a client that really wanted an end product that was overtly sexy & edgy. The result of the collaboration between the design team & the client produced an award-winning space that is ranked one of the top 100 hotels in the world.

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick

 


Iván Meade – What is the best advice (design related or otherwise) that you have ever received?


Tamara Radick- I think it would have to be ‘Love what you do’. If you love what you’re doing, it never really ends up being work…how fabulous is that!

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick

 


Iván Meade – What are 3 things you can’t live without?


Tamara Radick- Illy espresso, designer handbags, my boys (my husband Dave & my French bulldog Cito)

 

image 

Interior Design by Tamara Radick



Iván Meade – What is your next design venture?


Tamara Radick- We just bought a beautiful 1911 character house. I can’t wait to blend the original architectural elements with my modern aesthetic. Looking forward to some interesting results!

 

image Interior Design by Tamara Radick


Iván Meade – Lastly, you have already created a stunning body of work with many mediums and styles. What would you like your legacy to be?


Tamara Radick- I simply want to create environments & objects that bring people joy.

 

I invite you to discover Tamara Radick's work at her website

 

image 

 

Ivan Meade is a local designer and principal of Meade Design Group, a multidisciplinary interior and graphic design studio in the heart of downtown Victoria – www.themeadegroup.com



MEADE DESIGN GROUP - THE BLOG. Copyright 2007-2011

10 comments:

wendy wilson said...

Well done Ivan. The article is great. It is so fantastic that you are showcasing BC talent. It is wonderful to see this happen. Bravo to you! I hope you continue in these conversations with design talent in BC.
Wendy Wilson
Unique Interiors

Verdigris Vie said...

Thanks Ivan, you always introduce me to fabulous people. It's a pleasure to meet Tamara, and I am looking forward to exploring more of her work..

Vie

philippine real estate said...

I love all this designs, so much light and space.

Paula M

Michelle said...

She has a fresh and restrained eye...love these spaces! I think I met her at your party.

Who doesn't love the Opus interior...nice job!!

Thanks Ivan :)

Best,
Michelle

Karena said...

Excellent interview Ivan. Tamara's design work is very elegant and contempoaray. Love it!

Karena
Art by Karena

Echo said...

Another great local talent. I really do like her spaces and think that it's brilliant that she combines the whole package together from interior details and furnishings, project management and even graphics for a complete, consistent look.

qerat said...

Outstanding work.
I loved this interview and Tamara's work.
That bench with the art work on top is a master piece.

Ray Brickman said...

Tamara's work is really awesome. People will always love the gracious space per condo unit and of course, the simplistic and minimalist design will make the hearts of art-inclined people to rejoice. :)

Great work Tamara! I'll be watching for other designs from you.

Regards,
Ray Brickman

Batangas City real estate said...

Tamara is such a good designer, or great i might say. Those interiors are fascinating. Nice interview by Ivan. I love this post!

Home Decor Stores said...

I really love those designs. Great images too - so often a great piece is spoiled by poor quality images. Very well done!