Thursday 2 April 2009

In Conversation with Kimberly Williams

KWI-1 Kimberly Williams


As seen in SNAP magazine [ April 2009 ]


Kimberly Williams is among Vancouver Island’s top designers. With great projects like Dockside Green, Long Beach Lodge Resort, features in many publications and a multitude of awards under her belt, Kimberly and the team at her company, Kimberly Williams Interiors is renowned for their beautiful and timeless yet innovative and fresh interior design projects while maintaining their commitment to reducing their impact on the planet.


I met Kimberly last year when she approached Meade Design Group for her graphic design needs. I was so excited to create a new graphic identity and website for one of Canada’s top interior designers. Now that it is nearly complete I am so pleased with her finished product. I think it really evokes Kimberly’s design philosophy.


Untitled-1


Iván Meade – "What is your favourite design find?


Kimberly Williams – My greatest design find was the piece of property on which I built my design studio in Brentwood Bay.


Untitled-4 Kimberly Williams Studio


Iván Meade – "Why is it important/inspirational to you?"


Kimberly Williams – This piece of property was originally developed by my grandfather in the 1960's and came full-circle when I bought it six year ago. Buying that property represented a huge step in the growth of my company and allowed me to expand into other avenues of design.


imageKimberly Williams Studio


Iván Meade - How does this item reflect upon your personal design philosophy?

Kimberly Williams – The team and I designed the entire building form the ground up so it definitely reflects my personal style and design philosophy. Because this is where we all work every day, it is a constant source of inspiration - holding all the keys to our design success!


imageKimberly Williams Studio


Iván Meade – What was your first experience with design?


Kimberly Williams – When I was 13 my mother told me that I could do whatever I wanted with my bedroom. That set the stage for where my career was headed.


KWI-2Bear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – Who or what has influenced your style?


Kimberly Williams – I love the work of Arthur Erikson. It’s contemporary and modern and he really uses light to emphasize space. He makes design look so easy. A lot of my personal inspiration comes from living on Vancouver Island. I’ve lived here all my life and I love it! I really try to bring the beauty of nature into my work.


image Shoal Point Penthouse

Iván Meade – How would you describe your style?


Kimberly Williams – West Coast elegance meets casual contemporary.


KWI-3 Bear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – What do you consider to be your greatest strength and your greatest weakness?


Kimberly Williams – I think my greatest strength is my ability to really listen to our clients and determine their design needs. I also draw a lot of strength from my experiences as a mother to my two amazing daughters.


My greatest weakness is that I find it hard to say no, but I’m getting better at it.


imageShoal Point Penthouse


Iván Meade – What books are currently on your bedside or coffee table?


Kimberly Williams – Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth & When the Body Says No by Gabor Mate and my faithful journal.


image Bear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – What are you excited about right now in the world of design?


Kimberly Williams – Practicality. Working with clients to create appropriate spaces that meet their needs and budget. It’s also great to be able to provide our commercial and residential clients with Green design options that are no longer the priciest things out there.


image Bear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – Do you think Victoria is ready for a change? Where do you see design going in the next 10 years?


Kimberly Williams – Victoria is a stylish community with vibrant people. I think that design will move increasingly toward functional design without the excess of times past.


imageOak Bay Residence


Iván Meade – You seem very passionate about the green movement that is happening in the design world, in what ways are you and your company reducing your impact on the environment?


Kimberly Williams – In our office we have really tried ot make environmental design a priority. After getting on board with Dockside green we dove right in and we’ve learned so much! In our office we now only use 100% recycled paper, we’ve installed a water filtration system rather than bringing in bottles and we’ve set up a composting program. We also make a conscious effort to print less and subscribe to the sample recycling programs offered by most of our suppliers. Not only does it help the environment but it keeps our office tidy too!


image Dockside Green


Iván Meade – How do you find that technology has impacted design?


Kimberly Williams – It’s a real time saver. We’re able to communicate with clients so quickly and easily now, near or far. We’re also seeing a lot of Smart technology in homes related to environmental control that helps home-owners monitor their energy consumption and increase their comfort. Homes aren’t just shelter anymore they’re an extension of the user.


image Bear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – What project has given you the most satisfaction?


Kimberly Williams – Without a doubt it’s the Long Beach Lodge in Tofino – not only because it was an amazing project to be a part of but because I love visiting there – it’s so peaceful. When you’re designing a space you know that it’s going to look good – but when I walked into the great room for the first time it was so much more than furniture and finishes. I thought: “This turned out way better that I ever could have imagined.”


imageLong Beach Lodge


Iván Meade – What is the most unusual request that you have received from a client?


Kimberly Williams – I had a client ask to have a bronze statue of her son made and designed as a fountain to be placed in front of their home.


image Bear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – What would be your dream project?


Kimberly Williams – I’d love to work with the Breast Cancer Foundation to create a place where women receiving treatment from out of town can stay and feel at home. Going through cancer treatment myself, I know how hard it can be and I can’t imagine having to be away from my home. It would be so rewarding to know that these women could enjoy a bit of comfort during such a trying time in their lives.


imageBear Mountain Residence


Iván Meade – What is your next design venture?


Kimberly Williams – My “dream project” and possibly starting a furniture line.


imageCampbell Construction


Iván Meade – Lastly, you have already created a stunning body of work with many mediums and styles. What would you like your legacy to be?


Kimberly Williams – To know that I made a difference in people’s lives. That I helped people to achieve that feeling of “being at home” in their space. It could be an office, a hotel room, a private home or a treatment center, if people feel the ease of the space then I’ve done my job.

I invite you to discover Kimberly Williams stunning body of work at her website:

www.kimberlywilliams.ca


Iván Meade is a local designer and principal of Meade Design Group, a multidisciplinary interior and graphic design studio in the heart of downtown Victoria – www.themeadegroup.com




MEADE DESIGN GROUP - THE BLOG. Copyright 2007-2011

15 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great studio; and that's who did Long Beach Lodge! The Bear Mountain project is amazing! A great talent; and and island girl! I'm off to check out her website...I'm sure you did a great job Ivan :)

Christina Stack said...

Awesome. Perfect amount of West Coast & Regency drama. I really like this stuff! There's a really great sense of scale in each of these rooms too. That was a pleasure to read Ivan!

Brillante Interiors said...

It is amazing how much talent we have here in beautiful B.C. (including Ivan fierce...how was the show by the way?)

Maria Killam said...

Okay, I love that logo you designed, but I'm curious, what does the circle in the middle mean? I love the way the KW is represented in her logo! You are so good! Great images you've shown also! Fascinating interview as usual!

qerat said...

i have visited the website befroe and I love her work. I would love to be in her studio and see how it feels for real, it looks like an amzing place to work.

echito said...

You guys did do a great job with her project, it honestly does convey exactly the image that she wants to portray - classic, timeless and innovative.

She does great work and I'm sure that's not the last we'll hear about her and her team, her name is just getting bigger and bigger in the design world!

Bonnie said...

What a great logo! I see the K and the W and they look amazing intertwined! It really feels like a great representation of her style too. I like her interior design work. Very classic, clean, inviting and warm and modern at the same time. And the design studio is to die for!!!!!

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

Thank you everybody for your kind comments. I am sure Kimberly will be very pleased to read them.

Maria,the idea behind the circle is to add movement and femininity to the logo, the logo also has been designed to repeat in fabrics for upholstery purposes. Once you see the logo repeat the circle being a pure geometric figure helps you to create new patterns - It adds more possibilities to a static logo.

Albarosa, The concert was amazing - I decided that I want to be a hoochie mama in my next life -

custardbydesign said...

hi there...its been a few weeks since i stopped by your blog and i'm glad i did today...

great post

and great inspiring images to boot...

pve design said...

Permission to create her own room at a young age surely set a stunning stage for her passion for living stylishly, not pretentiously. I think every child would love and appreciate this story.
pve

Chuck Gniech said...

I really enjoy the mark you've created for Kimberly Williams. It's elegance is truly symbolic of the spaces that she creates.

Brilliant to add the interview aspect to your blog!

Unknown said...

Great interview Ivan. I like the logo you designed for Kimberly!
Patricia

DesignTies said...

Wow, Kimberley's work is AMAZING!!! If I worked in her studio, I'd be there 24/7!!!

All of her work is beautiful. I love absolutely everything about the Bear Mountain Residence. It's just stunning. The combination of wood and stone and crystal chandeliers is so interesting. It's elegant, warm, modern, and traditional all rolled into one.

Kelly @ DesignTies

christian barnard land studio said...

I really enjoy images of designers workspaces.
A stunning collection of work!
Another great interview by my Mexican mate!

Megan @ Lovely Happenings said...

I love her work. I wish I could work in a studio as gorgeous as hers.