Today while surfing the net I found a great example of this extraordinary alchemy in our world today. This example is the new National Stadium which will be the home for the Beijing Olympic Games this 2008. Colloquially know as the bird's nest. It is remarkable how something base in Chinese ceramics is so simple and can inspire something so unique, so functional, and so wonderfully complex.
Some interesting facts:
- Location: Beijing, People's Republic of China.
- Broke ground: December 2003
- Opened: March 2008
- Owner: Government of the People's Republic of China
- Surface Grass Construction cost: 3.5 billion yuan (~USD $423 million)
- Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
- Tenants: Chinese Olympic Committee 2008 Summer
- Olympics Capacity: 100,000
- Post Olympic Capacity: 80,000