As Seen in SNAP June 2013
Summer officially begins on June 21st. After having a not-so-great spring, I believe my fellow Victorians and I are looking to bring some happiness and vibrancy to our homes. With longer and (hopefully) warmer days we will be inclined to have more people over to enjoy the best that this season has to offer. Something I have learned is that the summers in Victoria are not the longest. So, we have to maximize the best use of the sunshine-filled time we do get in the upcoming months.
Here are a couple of tips that will bring joy to your home every day, and you don’t need to invest much money to get these great results.
1. My first tip is to have natural flowers (never artificial or silk) in your home – They can be in the form of a plant, even a bowl of fruit or just a really nice flower arrangement. Don’t wait for a special occasion, every day is a reason to celebrate. I have found that flowers are always eye-catching and they are a small investment that will really improve your everyday life. For a local florist, I would recommend Tara McHugh Flora, Poppies, Ramsey & Ramsey or Flowers on Top. These florists offer weekly maintenance/delivery programs, so your place always will look at its best.
Flowers by Tara McHugh Flora
2. Investing in a couple of bright and happy pillows and a lightweight blanket. This combo is perfect for a nice siesta in the afternoon. Nowadays you can even get Sunbrella fabrics which will not fade with the sun and they will last you many seasons to come. To look at Sunbrella fabric offerings, contact your favourite interior designer.
Jonathan Adler Outdoor Fabrics available at MEADE DESIGN GROUP
3. A cheerful set of napkins, chargers and a new tablecloth to dine Al Fresco. Again, you can always find really happy alternatives in places like Target, Canadian Super Store, The Bay and Capital Iron without breaking the bank. Colourful paper napkins can add also an unexpected touch.
Lilly Pulitzer Fabrics available at MEADE DESIGN GROUP
4. If you like to go for picnics at the beach or just sun-bathe at your home, why not pick-up really bold and fun beach towels?
5. For the adventurous ones, try painting an accent wall in a vibrant colour. Another way to introduce an accent colour is to just paint some large canvases in solid colours or stripes. Maybe you have an artist trapped inside, just waiting to get out! Explore you artistic and hidden talents by painting a nice picture to decorate your home.
In the end, summer is all about finding ways to enjoy and spend time with family and friends. Colour is just a way to showcase that we are happy without saying a thing. Be bold, be colorful and enjoy your Summer.