Wednesday 24 December 2008

Merry Christmas !!!


Every year it is a special and nostalgic occasion when I set up my old Nativity scene for Christmas. This Nativity has been in my family for generations and I was the lucky one who got it as a family heirloom a couple of years ago. My great grandmother made the silk and velvet clothing and embroidered each piece by hand with gold and silver thread. The bodies were hand carved from balsa wood. They are so lifelike they appear to be miniature versions of the saints you see in any baroque church in Latin America.


Click to see the bigger picture

I come from a very traditional family (just like any other Spanish Catholic family). On Christmas day Baby Jesus was the one who brought us the presents. Santa Claus was not as popular in Mexico yet. As a kid, I remember having long conversations with the Baby Jesus. I guess I was just trying to convince him that I was such a good boy, so he would present me with gifts containing the latest Lego, He-Man or Playmobil.

I think that Christmas is made special when we remember and honor our memories and traditions from childhood. I know that my great grandmother would be proud that I'm keeping care of this family tradition.

Merry Christmas ! ¡Feliz Navidad!

Let Every Day Be Christmas...

Christmas is forever, not for just one day, for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf. The good you do for others is good you do yourself .

-Norman W. Brooks



MEADE DESIGN GROUP - THE BLOG. Copyright 2007-2011

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I took you for a Lego man...lol...Feliz Navidad!

qerat said...

Merry Christmas Ivan. Beautiful nativity. Take good care of it
Tareq

Maria Killam said...

Traditions are wonderful! Happy Christmas to you Ivan!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaw what a sweet entry :) I love your Christmas traditions!